- Event Staffing
Promotions Company Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Event Staffing - Promotions - Event Promotions
The most common frequently asked questions (FAQs) asked by candidates and employers can be found on this page.
- Job Seekers FAQ
- Recruitment Agencies Services
- Temp Staff Agency Services
- Current Contractors or Temp Employees FAQ
If your questions are not covered here or they are more specific, please do not hesitate to call PromoStaff on (03) 9246 0433. Our specialist promotions agency team will be glad to provide you with the right answer!
What is the difference between a recruitment agency and employment agency?
The distinction between recruitment agencies and employment agencies was historically based on recruitment agencies only offering hiring services where they would source candidates on behalf of hirers who would then employ the candidates directly. In turn, employment agencies would offer temporary staff or contract staffing services where they would employ the candidate and then on-hire (or on-sell) the candidate to companies, charging a margin on top of the salary and direct employment costs. Most recruiters operate both services so the distinction is no longer as relevant as it may have been in the past.
What can I do to improve my resume?
At PromoStaff we offer you a Rapid Resume Builder as a FREE tool to generate a resume that you can then easily edit and update. Also once you have Registered For Work you will be setup with a FREE CareerController profile containing the skill set, attitude towards change and continual learning and career aspirations we have extracted from your resume. You can easily update this profile and also output your profile as a resume with hundred of modern designs. Be mindful that we can only search on information with is accurate and up to date so please ensure you regularly log into CareerController to update your profile, even if you are working, so that we can match with current and future vacancies.
Why register with PromoStaff?
With PromoStaff you will be partnering with a event staffing specialist. We understand the employment market and specific problems of our clients. When you register with PromoStaff you gain access to FREE CareerController tools to assist you manage your career. You will not only become a candidate for more than 13,000 jobs advertised on PromoStaff every year, but also be matched with and be able to apply for millions of jobs sourced via our affiliate network.
The easiest way to register with PromoStaff is to clicking Find Work. You can also apply for jobs that we list on our website. Make sure you have updated your resume before starting the register for work process.
Why should I work with a staffing agency?
Working with staff agencies is just one of many ways of maximizing your chances of securing a new role. Recruitment Agencies often act as the ‘middle-man’ identifying and connecting you with the problems of recruiters. Around 20% - 50% of jobs are advertised by recruitment agencies so it is likely you will apply for a job advertised by recruitment agencies on behalf of their clients. You should also register on multiple staff agency websites by uploading your resume as recruitment agencies will usually search their own database for candidates before advertising roles, whether they be permanent, temp or contract positions.
Can I just email my resume directly to staffing agencies?
Most larger staffing agencies use sophisticated databases to search for an identify candidates that match the needs of hirers. You need to register on staff agency websites in order for your resume to be uploaded into their talent database. Applying for jobs on jobs board such as Seek or Indeed does not necessarily mean you have been registered on their database so it is often worthwhile both applying directly for roles and also registering on a recruitment company website. For PromoStaff you should complete your personal details and upload your resume here Find Work Of course, you may be asked by employment agencies on occasions to email your resume directly. Sometimes this is because they want your resume in a MS Word (or similar editable) format so that they can remove your contact details from your resume in order to forward it to organisations.
As a candidate, do I have to pay for the services of a employment agency?
No the service is FREE! Almost all staffing agencies are paid by either recruiters or on some occasions the government to help unemployed candidates find work. Employment Agencies such as PromoStaff benefit that you register for work with them, as it makes it much easier to source fantastic talent on behalf of their clients who pay them for their service. Registering with recruitment agencies is FREE and even if you are offered a role it is the clients of the recruitment company who pays a fee for their services.
What should I expect from a recruitment company if I am short-listed for a role?
The recruitment starts with the submission of your resume. From there you can expect from a recruitment consultant if your skills and experience best match with a vacancy being recruited for. If you aren’t judged to be the most suitable candidate your resume will be retained in their candidate talent database to be matched with future employment opportunities. The Recruiter will then strive to meet you before presenting your application to their client. Through the client’s interview process you’ll be supported by the employment agency with meeting preparation, continued communication, constructive feedback and salary negotiation advice.
What will PromoStaff do for me?
In simple terms, we work on behalf of thousands of companies throughout Australia to attract suitably qualified candidates for their temporary and permanent vacancies. PromoStaff will match your career aspirations, attitude towards change and continual learning and work experience against our clients’ recruiting needs. If you are the best fit then you may be shortlisted and invited for either a preliminary interview with PromoStaff, an interview directly with the our employer client or both before an offer of employment is made to the successful candidate.
What are the qualities of a great recruiter?
Recruitment consultants, also known recruiters and resourcers (who just focus on candidates), are typically outgoing, sociable, organized, good communicators and motivated. They may specialize in permanent recruitment, temporary staffing, executive search (“head hunting”), specific role types (e.g. IT, engineering, accounting, change management, etc.) or be generalists running a “360 degree desk” (managing the sourcing of clients and candidates, recruiting process and achievement of budget gargets) with end-to-end responsibility. To be a successful recruitment consultant there are few top qualities that differentiate average recruitment consultants from great recruiters.
- Extrovert & Confident – There’s a reason that the industry tends to attract extroverts. Working as a recruiter involves a lot of interacting with people, whether it be on the phone or face-to-face. The industry tends to attract extroverts with a social confidence to engage with people at any level.
- Great Communication Skills – Recruiters are constantly on the phone, sending emails, writing job ads or providing feedback on position descriptions and employment contracts. They spend from the start of the day to the end of the day (and often in the evenings and weekends) communicating with clients and candidates in order to get the perfect match.
- Approachable & Good Listener – Recruiters need to be approachable and create long lasting genuine relationships. Candidates and even clients need to feel confident in expressing their personal opinions, reservations and concerns with someone whom they trust and who they feel is actively listening to them. A great recruiter’s ability to gain a deep insight into both the employer and candidate that really distinguishes them apart. This is essential in order to create a long-term relationship which ideally created with both employers and candidates (including those who were ultimately unsuccessful).
- Sales & Target Driven – Recruitment consultants must firstly sell their service to the employer and then they must sell the job to the candidate. As with any sales, both parties need to benefit from the process or they won’t proceed. The recruitment industry is very competitive with most recruiters employed on a base salary with commission or bonuses comprising a large percentage of their on-target earnings. If they are not achieving the results they won’t survive!
- Multi-Tasker & Super Organised – Recruiters need to work on a number of jobs at the same time, often with short-lead times. To be successful a good recruiter will need to juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Priories can be easily changed by clients requiring someone to start tomorrow or a candidate not showing up to their first day, so they must also be good at managing their time effectively under pressure.
- Patience – Things don’t always go to plan with dealing with people. Whether it is a candidate withdrawal, client changing their minds or leaving 20 messages without getting through to anyone, recruiters need to be flexible and patient. Typically, they are very conscience so it is also a personal challenge if they feel like candidates (and very occasionally clients) whom they trust to do the right thing let them down. It doesn’t happen very often but can be particularly frustrating when their reputation is at stake!
PromoStaff is always after fantastic Recruitment Consultants. If you believe you have the above qualities and are already (or might become) a fantastic recruitment consultant visit our Career Contact Us Form and include a link to your LinkedIn profile.
We have a PSA or PSL in operation. How can I use PromoStaff?
Over the years we have worked with many organisations where a Preferred Supplier List (PSL) or Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) is in place for recruiting services which does not include PromoStaff. Typically PromoStaff is approached by recruiters who are struggling to find suitable candidates through their normal hiring partners. In this situation we always suggest that authority is first sort to work with PromoStaff. This may require us speaking to your commercial team so that agreement can be reached on commercial terms. We are happy to work with you to justify why PromoStaff should be engaged as your recruitment partner, whether it is on a one-off role or as an ongoing PSL or PSA employment partner. Whatever the scenario, if you need the best candidates give PromoStaff a call on (03) 9246 0433 so we can discuss your organisation's hiring needs.
How much do staffing agencies charge?
Other than executive search where an upfront retainer usually charged, recruitment agencies typically don’t charge any upfront fees unless they source a fantastic candidate who starts working for their clients. Recruitment Agencies typically charge for permanent recruitment a placement fee of between 10% and 32% of the annual salary package of the candidate. For temporary staffing services the margin varies significantly based on such factors as the volume of work, length of the role, candidate salary rate and whether there is a preferred supplier agreement (PSA) in place, and with an average per hour margin of $12 to $25 per hour after direct employment costs. When calculating temp or contract margins a temp staff agency typically take into consideration such factors as:
- How many staff does the client require?
- What is the duration of assignment? (if not Permanent)
- What is the potential for repeat business?
- Will we be added to the Preferred Supplier List (PSL)? Will a Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) be put in place?
What services do a recruitment company offer?
Staff Agencies typically offer a large range of services to their clients, including:
- Executive Search or Headhunting – Executive search services involve the payment of a retainer and success-based placement fee for identifying and recruiting highly qualified candidates for senior-level and executive roles often from a particular industry.
- Permanent Recruitment – Staffing Agencies offer permanent recruitment services where they pre-screen candidates based on your particular skill, experience and background staffing requirements, who if successful in their interview, will be employed directly by the client. Fees for such service for PromoStaff are 10% of the agreed annual salary package which comes with a 3-month replacement guarantee.
- Fixed Term Recruitment – Recruitment Companies offer fixed term recruitment services where we will pre-screen and supply suitable candidates who will become your employee for a fixed period of time. PromoStaff fees are based on 10% of the first year’s remuneration package which is applied pro-rata for the contract period up to a maximum of 12 months, with a minimum placement fee of $4,000 payable.
- Contract Staff – Staff Agencies provide contract recruitment services where they will supply pre-screened candidates who are registered as independent contractors and usually engaged on a day rate. Recruitment Agency fees are based upon a percentage of the day rate that varies according to the period of the contract and agreed day rate.
- Temp Staff – Organisations with recruitment needs enter into an agreement with a temp staffing and recruitment agency to fill jobs with appropriately expert staff. A temping agency, also known as a temporary staff agency or temp agency, finds and retains talented worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
- Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) Recruitment Services – Recruiting Services are provided to a operation on a pre-agreed fee schedule based on a the staffing agency receiving a large volume of work on an exclusive or semi-exclusive basis.
What are the duties of a recruitment consultant?
Good communication skills are critical to a role as a recruitment consultant. Much of a recruitment consultant's work involves utilising advanced interpersonal skills to build rapport separately with hirers and candidates, understand the needs and personality traits of both in order to determine whether there is a good match and then facilitate an interview process. Recruitment consultants assist organisations to identify, select and recruit staff for their vacancies, and help individuals find and gain appropriate employment. Great marketing, sales and persuasion skills are critical to a job as a recruitment consultant. What does a recruitment consultant do? Recruitment consultants are also responsible for:
- interviewing and assessing prospective applicants and matching them with vacancies
- screening candidates and drawing up shortlists of candidates for clients to interview
- coordinating interviews
- creating and placing advertisements
- helping prepare applicants for interviews
- building relationships with clients
- negotiating employment contracts
The background and experience of recruitment consultants is varied with personal characteristics such as interpersonal skills, communication skills, confidence and initiative being the more common traits. For graduates, a degree in any discipline is acceptable for entry into the profession, although a qualification in a relevant subject such as human resources, marketing, psychology, business studies or management is beneficial. For specialist recruitment consultants, qualifications in IT, accountancy or engineering may be required. Key skills for recruitment consultants include:
- Verbal and written communication
- Good sales skills
- Drive & Determination
- Commercial awareness
- Advanced organisational skills
If you believe you have what it takes to be a fantastic recruitment consultant with PromoStaff visit our Career Contact Us Form and include a link to your LinkedIn profile. Join PromoStaff, one of the fastest growing recruitment agencies in Australia.
What sectors or industries do staff agencies operate in?
Each year recruitment companies place hundreds of thousands of professional candidates into permanent and contract roles across a broad range of industries and job categories. These include:
- Accountancy & Finance
- Banking & Financial institutions
- Digital Technology
- Executive Search
- Office Support
- Oil & Gas
- Supply Chain & Logistics
No matter what service you are seeking, give PromoStaff a call on (03) 9246 0433 so we can discuss your organisation's hiring needs.
Do you staff agencies offer replacement guarantees if things don’t work out?
Absolutely! We do expect candidates we have sourced to be very well matched to the roles. PromoStaff does however guarantee to provide you with an alternative candidate for the same position if the original candidate departs or is dismissed within 3 months. In our experience 3 months provides plenty of time for a candidate to settle nicely into the role. In our experience it’s unusual for carefully recruited and well matched candidate to leave a position. Perhaps our clients’ high retention rate is because we spend so much time carefully matching candidate personality, aspirations, motivation, achievements and experience to your needs in order to source you the perfect candidate.
How is PromoStaff different to other recruitment agencies?
We are consistently ranked in the top 6 recruitment agencies in Australia for our service excellence, hiring processes and expertise. Feedback from regular surveys of our clients and candidates is that our consistant delivery of service excellence stems from our focus on:
- Apply smarter staffing solutions that optimise employer and jobseekers outcomes
- Exceed customer expectations and add value at every interaction
- Quality, service and value will not be compromised
- Services expectations will be communicated, mutually agreed and continuously surpassed
- Innovation - I will embrace continuous learning. I will strive to continuously think outside the square.
- Excellence - I will strive to surpass the expectations of my colleagues and customers.
- Respect - I will treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Passion - I will aim to impact my passion onto my colleagues and clients.li>
- Teamwork - I will aim to build team work through sharing knowledge, valuing the insights of others and building on others ideas.
- Commitment - I will continuously demonstrate my commitment to myself, the company and the wider community to be the best I can be.
Contact PromoStaff on (03) 9246 0433 to speak to a Consultant about your business' employment needs.
What is temp to perm?
‘Temp-to-perm’ is an industry terms for recruitment assignments that start as temporary, but could lead to being permanently employment by our client. We often offer this type of role. A company will us to find a candidate to fill a role temporarily, with an eye to possibly making them permanent if they are suitable. Often your salary expectations would be communicated to the client by your PromoStaff Consultant at the outset of the assignment. There is never any guarantee that that a recruitment role will go temp-to-perm and as a temp you are not obliged to accept a direct employment offer if one is made.
Do recruitment employees get paid holidays?
No. You are casually employed by PromoStaff and receive a loading on your salary. You are not entitled to annual leave, sick leave or payment for public holidays.
How much money does a temp staffing and recruitment agency take?
The margin varies according to the temp pay rate and also the length and type of assignment. Often the client is aware of the margin and understands the premium they are paying for the temporary staff service. For example, if a temp worker may be paid $30 per hour, the client for which they are working may actually be paying $40 per hour to the temporary staff agency for their recruitment services. Of the $10 differece, around 30% to 50% is likely to be attributed to direct employment costs (e.g. superannuation, payroll taxes and Workcover insurance) leaving around $5 per hour margin for the temping agency.
How long does it take to hire a temp?
Typically for temp roles the notice period from hirers to a temp staff agency would typically 2 to 8 days. For some roles such as reception, nursing, laborers and teachers where a staff member is sick, organisations will often call a temping agency on the day that they require someone. For contract and more senior role typically organisations would provide 14 to 30 days' notice in order to secure sufficiently experienced and competent staff.
How does a temp agency work?
Organisations with recruitment needs enter into an agreement with a temp staffing and recruitment agency to fill jobs with appropriately expert staff. A temping agency, also known as a temporary staff agency or temp agency, finds and retains talented worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
Can temp work benefit my career?
Every temp assignment adds to your skills and demonstrates your ability to quickly adapt to new and varying working conditions and even industries. Ensure you regularly update your resume and online CareerController profile, including denoting that it was a ‘Contract’ role and listing your skills and achievements. If you excel as a temp you will also often find yourself being offered permanent roles by our clients. Often PromoStaff Consultant also find themselves as Referees to other employers and even agencies.
How do temping agencies make their money?
Temp Staffing And Recruitment Agency make their money in different ways. They take a percentage of the recruitment or contact salary. They also charge a placement fee to their clients of between 15% and 20% of the annual salary for any roles that go from temp-to-perm.
How long does a temporary job last?
Short-term temp positions might last 1 day or up to 4 weeks. When the role continues longer than about 7 weeks, a temporary staff agency would typically consider the role long term with an increased chance that it may lead to the candidate being offered a permanent role with the client (temp-to-perm).