Promotional Staffing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Promotions - Event Staffing - Promo Staff
The most common frequently asked questions (FAQs) asked by candidates and employers can be found on this page.
- Job Seekers FAQ
- Employment Agencies Services
- Temp Staffing And Recruitment Agency Services
- Current Contractors or Temp Employees FAQ
If your questions are not covered here or they are more specific, please do not hesitate to call PromoStaff on (03) 9246 0433. Our specialist promotions agency team will be glad to provide you with the right answer!
As a candidate, do I have to pay for the services of a employment agency?
No the service is FREE! Almost all recruitment companies are paid by either companies or on some occasions the government to help unemployed candidates find work. Recruitment Agencies such as PromoStaff benefit that you register for work with them, as it makes it much easier to source fantastic talent on behalf of their clients who pay them for their service. Registering with employment agencies is FREE and even if you are offered a role it is the clients of the recruitment company who pays a fee for their services.
What does a staffing agency do?
Recruitment Agencies operate on behalf of their clients the employers. Recruitment Companies are external service providers who source candidates for employers to employ directly. Staffing Agencies also frequently offer temporary or contract staffing services where they on-hire (or 'on-sell') candidates, whom the employment agency employs, to their clients.
Why should I work with a recruitment agency?
Working with staff agencies is just one of many ways of maximizing your chances of securing a new role. Employment Agencies often act as the ‘middle-man’ identifying and connecting you with the problems of companies. Around 20% - 50% of jobs are advertised by recruitment agencies so it is likely you will apply for a job advertised by employment agencies on behalf of their clients. You should also register on multiple recruitment agency websites by uploading your resume as employment agencies will usually search their own database for candidates before advertising roles, whether they be permanent, temp or contract positions.
Can I just email my resume directly to recruitment companies?
Most larger recruitment companies use sophisticated databases to search for an identify candidates that match the needs of hirers. You need to register on recruitment agency websites in order for your resume to be uploaded into their talent database. Applying for jobs on jobs board such as Seek or Indeed does not necessarily mean you have been registered on their database so it is often worthwhile both applying directly for roles and also registering on a recruitment company website. For PromoStaff you should complete your personal details and upload your resume here Find Work Of course, you may be asked by recruitment agencies on occasions to email your resume directly. Sometimes this is because they want your resume in a MS Word (or similar editable) format so that they can remove your contact details from your resume in order to forward it to organisations.
What is the difference between a recruitment agency and employment agency?
The distinction between recruitment agencies and employment agencies was historically based on recruitment agencies only offering hiring services where they would source candidates on behalf of hirers who would then employ the candidates directly. In turn, employment agencies would offer temporary staff or contract staffing services where they would employ the candidate and then on-hire (or on-sell) the candidate to companies, charging a margin on top of the salary and direct employment costs. Most recruiters operate both services so the distinction is no longer as relevant as it may have been in the past.
What can I do to improve my resume?
At PromoStaff we offer you a Rapid Resume Builder as a FREE tool to generate a resume that you can then easily edit and update. Also once you have Registered For Work you will be setup with a FREE CareerController profile containing the attitude towards change and continual learning, skill set and education and credentials we have extracted from your resume. You can easily update this profile and also output your profile as a resume with hundred of modern designs. Be mindful that we can only search on information with is accurate and up to date so please ensure you regularly log into CareerController to update your profile, even if you are working, so that we can match with current and future vacancies.
What will PromoStaff do for me?
In simple terms, we work on behalf of thousands of recruiters throughout Australia to attract suitably qualified candidates for their temporary and permanent vacancies. PromoStaff will match your career aspirations, personality compatibility and work experience against our clients’ recruiting needs. If you are the best fit then you may be shortlisted and invited for either a preliminary interview with PromoStaff, an interview directly with the our employer client or both before an offer of employment is made to the successful candidate.
Why register with PromoStaff?
With PromoStaff you will be partnering with a promotions specialist. We understand the employment market and specific problems of our clients. When you register with PromoStaff you gain access to FREE CareerController tools to assist you manage your career. You will not only become a candidate for more than 10,000 jobs advertised on PromoStaff every year, but also be matched with and be able to apply for millions of jobs sourced via our affiliate network.
The easiest way to register with PromoStaff is to clicking Find Work. You can also apply for jobs that we list on our website. Make sure you have updated your resume before starting the register for work process.
How does PromoStaff source the best promotions candidates?
After more than 13 years, PromoStaff has earned an Australian wide reputation from candidates for supporting their careers and matching them with roles from some of the largest, and also smallest, employers. With between 200 and 400 new registrations on our PromoStaff.com.au website every week, PromoStaff has a talent database of more 148,000 candidates looking to maximise their career success. Candidates are given FREE access to CareerController where they can manage job applications, see roles that match their requirements and update their profile with the latest motivation, skills and aspirations. We also have access to an affiliate network and jobs boards that provides us with access to millions of capable event staffing, promo staff or promotions candidates, whether your enterprise requires executive, recruitment agencies or staffing agencies staffing services. Call us on (03) 9246 0433 to discuss your organisation's needs to discover why PromoStaff has a reputation for service excellence as one of the top 7 recruitment agencies in Australia.
We have a PSA or PSL in operation. How can I use PromoStaff?
Over the years we have worked with many organisations where a Preferred Supplier List (PSL) or Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) is in place for employment services which does not include PromoStaff. Typically PromoStaff is approached by companies who are struggling to find suitable candidates through their normal recruiting partners. In this situation we always suggest that authority is first sort to work with PromoStaff. This may require us speaking to your commercial team so that agreement can be reached on commercial terms. We are happy to work with you to justify why PromoStaff should be engaged as your recruitment partner, whether it is on a one-off role or as an ongoing PSL or PSA recruiting partner. Whatever the scenario, if you need the best candidates give PromoStaff a call on (03) 9246 0433 so we can discuss your organisation's issues.
What services do a recruitment company offer?
Staff Agencies typically offer a large range of services to their clients, including:
- Executive Search or Headhunting – Executive search services involve the payment of a retainer and success-based placement fee for identifying and recruiting highly qualified candidates for senior-level and executive roles often from a particular industry.
- Permanent Recruitment – Recruitment Companies offer permanent recruitment services where they pre-screen candidates based on your particular skill, experience and background staffing requirements, who if successful in their interview, will be employed directly by the client. Fees for such service for PromoStaff are 10% of the agreed annual salary package which comes with a 3-month replacement guarantee.
- Fixed Term Recruitment – Staffing Agencies offer fixed term recruitment services where we will pre-screen and supply suitable candidates who will become your employee for a fixed period of time. PromoStaff fees are based on 10% of the first year’s remuneration package which is applied pro-rata for the contract period up to a maximum of 12 months, with a minimum placement fee of $4,000 payable.
- Contract Staff – Staff Agencies provide contract recruitment services where they will supply pre-screened candidates who are registered as independent contractors and usually engaged on a day rate. Recruitment Agency fees are based upon a percentage of the day rate that varies according to the period of the contract and agreed day rate.
- Temp Staff – Organisations with recruitment needs enter into an agreement with a temp staffing and recruitment agency to fill jobs with appropriately capable staff. A temp staff agency, also known as a temporary staff agency or temp agency, finds and retains competent worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
- Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) Recruitment Services – Hiring Services are provided to a operation on a pre-agreed fee schedule based on a the employment agency receiving a large volume of work on an exclusive or semi-exclusive basis.
What happens when I contact a recruitment company?
Normally you will be asked about your organisation, your organisation's issues and your contact details. Role specific questions will also be asked regarding the preferred start date of the role, salary range, skills and experience requirements, working hours, interview preferences and the location. Usually the placement fee will be confirmed or hourly rate quoted on the phone for you to make a decision. This will also be confirmed via email along with a copy of the staff agency terms of business (TOB) outlining the conditions of their services. There is no obligation to use their services at this stage, whereby the onus is on the recruitment agency to source fantastic candidates that meet your recruitment needs in order for them to be paid. Based upon your agreement to proceed with hiring a candidate or hiring temp staff, you we will be allocate the PromoStaff Consultant who will become your point of contact thereafter. If you have multiple roles, a primary PromoStaff Consultant will be appointed by PromoStaff who will liaise with other specialist consultants within the recruitment agency. Call PromoStaff today on (03) 9246 0433 to outline your enterprise's needs and find out more about how our services can assist you.
What are the qualities of a great recruiter?
Recruitment consultants, also known recruiters and resourcers (who just focus on candidates), are typically outgoing, sociable, organized, good communicators and motivated. They may specialize in permanent recruitment, temporary staffing, executive search (“head hunting”), specific role types (e.g. IT, engineering, accounting, change management, etc.) or be generalists running a “360 degree desk” (managing the sourcing of clients and candidates, recruiting process and achievement of budget gargets) with end-to-end responsibility. To be a successful recruitment consultant there are few top qualities that differentiate average recruitment consultants from great recruiters.
- Extrovert & Confident – There’s a reason that the industry tends to attract extroverts. Working as a recruiter involves a lot of interacting with people, whether it be on the phone or face-to-face. The industry tends to attract extroverts with a social confidence to engage with people at any level.
- Great Communication Skills – Recruiters are constantly on the phone, sending emails, writing job ads or providing feedback on position descriptions and employment contracts. They spend from the start of the day to the end of the day (and often in the evenings and weekends) communicating with clients and candidates in order to get the perfect match.
- Approachable & Good Listener – Recruiters need to be approachable and create long lasting genuine relationships. Candidates and even clients need to feel confident in expressing their personal opinions, reservations and concerns with someone whom they trust and who they feel is actively listening to them. A great recruiter’s ability to gain a deep insight into both the employer and candidate that really distinguishes them apart. This is essential in order to create a long-term relationship which ideally created with both employers and candidates (including those who were ultimately unsuccessful).
- Sales & Target Driven – Recruitment consultants must firstly sell their service to the employer and then they must sell the job to the candidate. As with any sales, both parties need to benefit from the process or they won’t proceed. The recruitment industry is very competitive with most recruiters employed on a base salary with commission or bonuses comprising a large percentage of their on-target earnings. If they are not achieving the results they won’t survive!
- Multi-Tasker & Super Organised – Recruiters need to work on a number of jobs at the same time, often with short-lead times. To be successful a good recruiter will need to juggle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. Priories can be easily changed by clients requiring someone to start tomorrow or a candidate not showing up to their first day, so they must also be good at managing their time effectively under pressure.
- Patience – Things don’t always go to plan with dealing with people. Whether it is a candidate withdrawal, client changing their minds or leaving 20 messages without getting through to anyone, recruiters need to be flexible and patient. Typically, they are very conscience so it is also a personal challenge if they feel like candidates (and very occasionally clients) whom they trust to do the right thing let them down. It doesn’t happen very often but can be particularly frustrating when their reputation is at stake!
PromoStaff is always after fantastic Recruitment Consultants. If you believe you have the above qualities and are already (or might become) a fantastic recruitment consultant visit our Career Contact Us Form and include a link to your LinkedIn profile.
How is PromoStaff different to other recruitment agencies?
We are consistently ranked in the top 3 employment agencies in Australia for our recruitment systems, hiring processes and experience. Feedback from regular surveys of our clients and candidates is that our consistant delivery of service excellence stems from our focus on:
- Apply smarter staffing solutions that optimise employer and jobseekers outcomes
- Exceed customer expectations and add value at every interaction
- Quality, service and value will not be compromised
- Services expectations will be communicated, mutually agreed and continuously surpassed
- Innovation - I will embrace continuous learning. I will strive to continuously think outside the square.
- Excellence - I will strive to surpass the expectations of my colleagues and customers.
- Respect - I will treat all people with dignity and respect.
- Passion - I will aim to impact my passion onto my colleagues and clients.li>
- Teamwork - I will aim to build team work through sharing knowledge, valuing the insights of others and building on others ideas.
- Commitment - I will continuously demonstrate my commitment to myself, the company and the wider community to be the best I can be.
Contact PromoStaff on (03) 9246 0433 to speak to a Consultant about your company's employment needs.
How much do staffing agencies charge?
Other than executive search where an upfront retainer usually charged, recruitment agencies typically don’t charge any upfront fees unless they source a fantastic candidate who starts working for their clients. Employment Agencies typically charge for permanent recruitment a placement fee of between 10% and 32% of the annual salary package of the candidate. For temporary staffing services the margin varies significantly based on such factors as the volume of work, length of the role, candidate salary rate and whether there is a preferred supplier agreement (PSA) in place, and with an average per hour margin of $8 to $27 per hour after direct employment costs. When calculating temp or contract margins a temp staffing and recruitment agency typically take into consideration such factors as:
- How many staff does the client require?
- What is the duration of assignment? (if not Permanent)
- What is the potential for repeat business?
- Will we be added to the Preferred Supplier List (PSL)? Will a Preferred Supplier Agreement (PSA) be put in place?
Do temp staff sign an employment contract?
Yes. The temping agency employs you directly and will therefore expect you to sign an employment contract. Not only will the contract outline your employment status and conditions, it will also include certain restrictions regarding your ability to work directly for, and discussing your salary with, the companies that they introduce you to. When the temp staff agency send you on a role, you cannot accept any other temporary or permanent position with the business without going through the temp agency. Should the company want to hire you permanently, they will pay the temp staffing and recruitment agency a certain amount to release you from your contract. Typically this is between 14% and 29% of the annual salary package that is offered to you.
Do temp staff employees get paid holidays?
No. You are casually employed by PromoStaff and receive a loading on your salary. You are not entitled to annual leave, sick leave or payment for public holidays.
How long does it take to hire a temp?
Typically for temp roles the notice period from recruiters to a temp staffing and recruitment agency would typically 3 to 10 days. For some roles such as reception, nursing, laborers and teachers where a staff member is sick, organisations will often call a temping agency on the day that they require someone. For contract and more senior role typically organisations would provide 14 to 30 days' notice in order to secure sufficiently talented and capable staff.
How does a temp staff agency work?
Organisations with recruitment needs enter into an agreement with a temp staffing and recruitment agency to fill jobs with appropriately capable staff. A temp staff agency, also known as a temporary staff agency or temp agency, finds and retains competent worker to send out on short or long-term assignments.
Why do organisations hire temporary employees?
Temping Agency can quickly provide your organisation with reliable staff. Some common reasons companies hire temps are: employee annual leave or sickness, maternity or disability leave, staff sudden departure, unexpected or temporary demands, special projects, seasonal or peak periods or general employee shortages.
What is temp to perm?
‘Temp-to-perm’ is an industry terms for temp staff assignments that start as temporary, but could lead to being permanently employment by our client. We often offer this type of role. A company will us to find a candidate to fill a role temporarily, with an eye to possibly making them permanent if they are suitable. Often your salary expectations would be communicated to the client by your PromoStaff Consultant at the outset of the assignment. There is never any guarantee that that a temp staff role will go temp-to-perm and as a temp you are not obliged to accept a direct employment offer if one is made.
How long does a temporary job last?
Short-term temp positions might last 1 day or up to 2 weeks. When the role continues longer than about 7 weeks, a temporary staff agency would typically consider the role long term with an increased chance that it may lead to the candidate being offered a permanent role with the client (temp-to-perm).
How much money does a temp staff agency take?
The margin varies according to the temp pay rate and also the length and type of assignment. Often the client is aware of the margin and understands the premium they are paying for the temp staff service. For example, if a temp worker may be paid $30 per hour, the client for which they are working may actually be paying $40 per hour to the temporary staff agency for their recruitment services. Of the $10 differece, around 30% to 50% is likely to be attributed to direct employment costs (e.g. superannuation, payroll taxes and Workcover insurance) leaving around $5 per hour margin for the temping agency.